If you are interested in working with me as your decision coach, the first step is a decision consultation. The consultation usually takes place over the telephone or via Skype video conference. We will spend about 30 minutes together discussing you and the decision you need to make. There is no charge or obligation. If I can help you the next step is is to determine how to work together. Depending on the type of decision required, there are several ways:
- If the decision needs to be made right away, we will work together intently and spend all the time that is necessary to arrive at a wise decision as quickly as possible.
- If the decision is important but not urgent, we will have decision coaching sessions over a period of time, usually a few weeks, to work through the decision process.
- In some situations most of the groundwork has already been done and my job will be to help you work through the final decision. This can often be done in a session or two
We will use a seven step process for making the decision:
- Framing the Decision-determining (or confirming) the “real” or “upstream decision” that will best solve your problem.
- Setting the Criteria-determining what the decision must look like to be successful.
- Gathering the Facts-deciding what we need to know and obtaining the information.
- Developing Options-in most cases more options result in a better decision.
- Evaluating the Options-comparing options using appropriate decision tools and techniques.
- Assessing Risk-determining the likelihood of success or failure for each option and your risk tolerance.
- Making the Decision-Choosing the best option and beginning implementation.
During our decision coaching sessions we will work sequentially through the seven decision making steps resolving roadblocks and evaluating new information as we go.You may have assignments between sessions, fact gathering for example, that will help us move the decision process forward. All documents and communications, everything related to our work together, including the fact that we are working together, is completely confidential and will not be disclosed to anyone without your express consent.
When we are ready, we will evaluate the choices for your final decision. Then you, with my support, will make the final decision.
It is important to follow through with your decision. As a experienced coach, I can also help you with this process. If you would like, I will help you create and execute a plan for implementing your decision with specific timelines, goals and individual action steps.